This is that time of year when I try to perfect that look on my face that says "If the first sentence out of your mouth doesn't include the words 'at ALA' or "gushing blood' I don't really have time to talk. It's another busy one as usual, with my time split between OCLC activities, LITA activities, and my first year as an ALA Councilor. Here are a few highlights for me this year:
OCLC (I'll be at or near the podium at the following information sessions)
- OCLC Americas Regional Council Annual Member Meeting and Symposium, Friday 12-5pm, Omni Dallas Hotel, Dallas Ballroom EFG
- The Power of Cooperation at Webscale: OCLC's Strategy for Academic Libraries, Saturday 8:30-10am, Dallas Convention Center, Room C155
- The Power of Cooperation at Webscale: OCLC's Strategy for Public Libraries, Saturday 10:30am-12pm,
Dallas Convention Center, Room C155
Whether or not you've heard about WorldShare, Webscale, and the power of cooperation in libraries, I would encourage you to jon Cathy De Rosa and her OCLC colleagues at these great events.
- Workflows Transformed: Librarians Share Experiences with OCLC WorldShare Management Services, Saturday 1:30-3:00 pm, Dallas Convention Center, Room C141
Excited about this one, as I will only speak for 5 minutes before turning things over to Lynne Jacobsen (Pepperdine) and Stefanie WIttenbach (Texas A&M San Antonio) from two libraries that have been live with WorldShare Management Services the longest.
- E-resources at Webscale: Simple Solutions for Management, Discovery and Delivery, Saturday 4-5:30pm, Dallas Convention Center, Room C156
I'll be at the podium for this one with lots of audience support from my colleagues. Isn't it time that we started talking about new solutions for managing our most valuable resources? Wouldn't it be even cooler if you could do something about it now? Well, you can...come and find out.
- OCLC Update Breakfast, Sunday, 7-8:00am, Omni Dallas Hotel, Dallas Ballroom EFG
Admit it, you're awake anyway...why not come get a great full breakfast and get a great overview of everything the world's largest library cooperative is up to?
- for a full list of OCLC events and registration, go here.
- Happy Hour, Top Technology Trends, LITA Town Hall....LITA Rocks. I suggest you check out the full list of events here. But I also want to add a selfish shout-out for a couple of interest group events happening this time:
- The first meeting of the "Technology and Industry Interest Group." I had a hand in putting this IG together and am thrilled that Marshall Breeding and my colleague Matt Goldner have agreed to serve as co-chairs of this cool new IG. Marshall posted about it on GuidePosts. Saturday, 10:30 - 12 noon, Dallas Convention Center A303
- My boss, Robin Murray, will be at the Next Generation Catalog Interest Group on Sunday 10:30 am - 12:00 noon, Dallas Convention Center C156, to talk about next-generation systems and services
And every other time gap is filled with Council meetings! It's going to be another great ALA.