Recently in ALA Category
- OCLC Americas Regional Council Annual Member Meeting and Symposium, Friday 12-5pm, Omni Dallas Hotel, Dallas Ballroom EFG
Great agenda. Check it out.
- The Power of Cooperation at Webscale: OCLC's Strategy for Academic Libraries, Saturday 8:30-10am, Dallas Convention Center, Room C155
- The Power of Cooperation at Webscale: OCLC's Strategy for Public Libraries, Saturday 10:30am-12pm, Dallas Convention Center, Room C155
Whether or not you've heard about WorldShare, Webscale, and the power of cooperation in libraries, I would encourage you to jon Cathy De Rosa and her OCLC colleagues at these great events.
- Workflows Transformed: Librarians Share Experiences with OCLC WorldShare Management Services, Saturday 1:30-3:00 pm, Dallas Convention Center, Room C141
Excited about this one, as I will only speak for 5 minutes before turning things over to Lynne Jacobsen (Pepperdine) and Stefanie WIttenbach (Texas A&M San Antonio) from two libraries that have been live with WorldShare Management Services the longest.
- E-resources at Webscale: Simple Solutions for Management, Discovery and Delivery, Saturday 4-5:30pm, Dallas Convention Center, Room C156
I'll be at the podium for this one with lots of audience support from my colleagues. Isn't it time that we started talking about new solutions for managing our most valuable resources? Wouldn't it be even cooler if you could do something about it now? Well, you can...come and find out.
- OCLC Update Breakfast, Sunday, 7-8:00am, Omni Dallas Hotel, Dallas Ballroom EFG
Admit it, you're awake anyway...why not come get a great full breakfast and get a great overview of everything the world's largest library cooperative is up to?
- for a full list of OCLC events and registration, go here.
- Happy Hour, Top Technology Trends, LITA Town Hall....LITA Rocks. I suggest you check out the full list of events here. But I also want to add a selfish shout-out for a couple of interest group events happening this time:
- The first meeting of the "Technology and Industry Interest Group." I had a hand in putting this IG together and am thrilled that Marshall Breeding and my colleague Matt Goldner have agreed to serve as co-chairs of this cool new IG. Marshall posted about it on GuidePosts. Saturday, 10:30 - 12 noon, Dallas Convention Center A303
- My boss, Robin Murray, will be at the Next Generation Catalog Interest Group on Sunday 10:30 am - 12:00 noon, Dallas Convention Center C156, to talk about next-generation systems and services
I don't know why I feel so surprised every time ALA creeps up on me. It's not like we hold it at the same times every year or anything. This one is proving to be another hectic one, as usual. I'm not really sure what I would do with myself if ALA weren't hectic.
Here's where you're likely to find me at OCLC events, either at the podium or lurking in the back of the room.
On Friday, I'm finally headed back to the LITA/ALCTS Electronic Resource Management Interest Group. I've spent almost 2 dog years talking about and building ERM, and I'm finally glad to be presenting some of the stuff we have been working on at OCLC. I'm pretty hopeful that License Manager will bring real utility to a market full of functionality
End-to-End E-Resource Management: How OCLC Makes it Easier
8:00 am - 10:00 am, Morial Convention Center, Room 244
Join the Revolution: Library Management at Web Scale
Includes panelists from Harrison College, Davidson College, and Norwich University
10:30 am - 12:00 pm, Morial Convention Center, Room 269
Jazzing Up Your Library Systems with the OCLC Platform
4:00 - 5:30 pm, Morial Convention Center, Room 284
On Sunday, we'll be having our first face-to-face WMS Community meeting! Pretty exciting, given that a year ago we were just getting out of the gate with our very first early adopters.
Here's a complete list of OCLC events in New Orleans.
Of course, I'll be hanging with LITA folks wherever possible. I un-humbly state that LITA programming is among the best at ALA. Check out their happenings.
If Identity Management is your game, I encourage you to catch my OCLC colleague Don Hamparian and others at the LITA sponsored event on Monday, 10:30 am - 12:00 pm in Room 288 of the Convention Center. It's a common problem without a whole lot of shared solutions in our world of libraries, but I'm encouraged when I see the number of good folks trying to tackle this problem.
I am looking forward to everything but the heat. It's been unusually cool (and wet) here in central Ohio, but I'm afraid my southern climate blood has thinned considerably in the last three years. Try as I might, though, I have no plans to slow down.