July 2008 Archives

Sacred Cow #1

|
CommentsComments (3) | TrackBacks (1) | Bookmark or Share Bookmark or Share
You've likely already heard that OCLC has released a new report on library advocacy.  But today, I'm wishing that the previous one had gotten more attention from the library community. Sharing, Privacy and Trust in Our Networked World got some serious attention from the social networking cliques, but I was really hoping that it would open the dialog about privacy expectations some more.

I attended a lecture on privacy at NCSU once where the speaker mentioned that we are living in a climate where most undergraduates would trade a DNA sample for an Extra Value Meal.  A nice throw-away line, but one that sets up a value proposition for libraries.  We could certainly ask for less than DNA and offer more than a Big Mac and fries.

I started wondering why library software applications and services don't work more like the privacy settings in a web browser.  By default, even Microsoft wants to be diligent in protecting my privacy, but the software gives my organization the ability to adjust the level to its liking.  In turn, my organization can decide to extend that benefit to me as much as it sees fit, making determinations about how much it needs to protect itself and how much I can be trusted to protect myself.

Picture options like this:

privacy-1.jpg
privacy-2.jpg
I remain baffled as to why most libraries will only let patrons share their library data outside of libraries.  I'm equally baffled as to why patrons don't demand that they be allowed to do so.

Starting from Scratch

|
CommentsComments (3) | Bookmark or Share Bookmark or Share
Carl Sagan once said: "If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

I've been taken lately with all the efforts in library land to build things from scratch, as if there is no starting point, no viability--either technically or philosophically--from which to begin.  Ironically, the "2.0" true believers seem to be talking as if they are reinventing the universe more than moving libraries from version 1.0 to version 2.0.  It's pretty hard (though not impossible) to move to v.2 when the first step is to throw away everything from v.1.

Where do I stand?  I think one must make a really, really good case for starting over. 

• When I am done building this thing, how will it distinguish itself from the thing that I replaced?
  • How do those distinctions shift the market, shift perceptions, shift total cost of ownership, or make life better for users of the thing?
  • Has starting from scratch created benefit for those who don't or will it require others to start from scratch as well?
  • Assuming that starting over will take longer and cost more (this can be a big assumption that one should question), what won't get done because I am recreating functionality or services that already exist?
I have never (really...never) met a software developer who didn't want to start from scratch, so I have some experience here.  I fear starting from scratch because I think that if you rebuild things from the ground up, you wind up with something that looks exactly the same.  I think Karen Schneider applied this theory to organizations, namely the ALA, and  I believe it.  It's probably true of other large organizations.  And how many times have we seen outsiders approach the library industry only to reverse-engineer the things that we have been doing for decades (the problem, of course, is sitting on the sidelines saying "we've been doing that for decades!").

So are  you starting from scratch on anything?  In the end, I think most folks are simply making apple pies from different recipes--open source ILS, classification schemes, faceted catalogs, RDA.  Who's going to invent the universe?

About the Author

Andrew K. Pace

I am Executive Director for Networked Library Services at OCLC. I am also a past President of LITA. On occasion, I am known for pontificating "on stage, in writing, and via the web" on a variety of issues important to libraries.

More »

Find In A Library

Search for an item in libraries near you:
WorldCat.org »