Knowing where the tools are kept

| | TrackBacks (0) | Bookmark or Share
As an editor and proofreader, I get frequent questions about style and punctuation--and an unspoken assumption that I must keep tons of arcane details in my head. If my colleagues only knew how often I reach for the dictionary or the World Almanac or The Chicago Manual of Style to answer many of their questions!

At OCLC, we've tried to put many of the tools most used by member librarians in one place, called the "Librarian's toolbox." This portal page on the OCLC website is one of those "where to find what" pages for a lot of things you and your staff may need to do in your daily work--definitely worth bookmarking! You can also find the link in the top navigation bar of almost any page on the www.oclc.org site:

toolbox.jpg

Here's a partial list of what you can do from the toolbox page:

• Log on to variety of OCLC services and related sites
  • Access and print OCLC forms
  • Order OCLC services
  • Link to helpful cataloging tools
  • Get the latest Dewey Decimal Classification updates
  • Explore a directory of other OCLC libraries
The Librarian's toolbox is also a great go-to site to learn more about WorldCat. There are tools for using WorldCat more effectively. You can put the WorldCat search box on your website to make it easier for users to find materials they need. And you can watch the work of libraries around the world as they continue to build WorldCat record by record.

We hope the toolbox page is a helpful reference as you connect with OCLC services, staff and other members. It's a good link to hang onto because, as we all know, no one can remember everything!

Brad Gauder
OCLC Editor

0 TrackBacks

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Knowing where the tools are kept.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://community.oclc.org/coop_config/mt-tb.cgi/82